Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

190 Posts in 95 Topics- by 131 Members - Latest Member: maddog45

August 20, 2014, 02:48:58 AM
M Company Message BoardTrooper MessagesM Company Message BoardQuan Loi - October 1969
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Quan Loi - October 1969  (Read 3458 times)
Dennis313
New Recruit

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »

My name is Dennis Mahon, I was Sgt E-5 with 3rd platoon till October 24, 1969, when in Quan loi during a maintenence standown, I was Shot in the left leg from behind.

I currently have a claim into VA, due to nerve and joint damage to my knee. They request eyewitness testimony or any other evidence I can provide to make my claim.

If you have any information or knowledge of the event, please contact me at Dennis313@hotmail.com

Thank you

Dennis313
New Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:33:07 PM »

Determination from VA:

According to their treatment records, My wound was Self-inflicted and I'm not entitled to monitary benefits.

I have at this moment no evidence to proove anything otherwise. They have given me 12 months to proove my claim and I need testamony from someone who witnessed it.  Sorry to trouble anybody!

Dennis
bandaide
New Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:59:03 AM »

This sounds interesting. I was the 1st platoon medic in 69. We were in Quan Loi
I think most of the company was pulling maintance. I remember helping the guys work on the track when a shot rang out. I ran over to a trooper who had been shot in the leg. I think it was an accident,maybe while cleaning a weapon. I bandaged the wound,
put him on a strecher( i think) loaded him on a jeep and off he went.  Never saw him again or even knew his name...  It would be such an incredible trip if he is you...
Dennis313
New Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:26:56 PM »

Yep

That was me.  I was setting on a couple of wood pallets and talking to a couple of other guys, when someone standing behind me was putting their 45 back together and shot me in the upper leg.  The bullet carried things I had in my pocket into my leg and exited behind my left knee.  I was Med-evacted to Japan because they had lay open my thiegh and My Knee was completely locked up.

By the time I got my knee moving 90%, I only had less than 90 days to ETS, so they gave me an early out, just about the time Nixon ordered the Company into Cambodia.

Unfortunately, somehow the VA has it almost sounding like I shot myself to get out of Nam and they are mistified as to how I got Wood and Glass into the wound.  I know the guy's name who misfired his weapon, but I would not care to post it here without his permission.  Was hoping He would read the post and contact me.

That Jeep ride was pretty memorible, especially all the 'DAMN's!' running over those speed-bump track sections they had laid accross the roadway.

Good hearing from you and Thanks! 
bandaide
New Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »

It is great finding someone i helped..Are you still fighting the VA? I do remember pallets and it is very understandable how wood could get into a wound.
Also this incident was definitly in the line of duty. It pisses me off. The government will try anything to get out of its responsibilities..i have never forgotten because walking past our area was the C.O.of the ARP's. He arrived to the sceen as the jeep was taking you away. He was so impresses with my speed and abilities he invited me over to his area for an interview. When i got there i was greeded by crazy eyed troopers sharpening knifes and playing wit gernades. The walls of his office were covered in black and white photos of dead gooks. I got of there quick.
If I can help in any way let me know..
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by padexx